Sunday, November 8, 2009

Halloween and internet complications








Halloween in Italy is something I never thought I would do. In case you are wondering, Italians don’t celebrate Halloween, the American students do though and lets just say the “discoteques” fully take advantage of this American holiday. Meghan and I decided that we needed to be festive, so we headed to the “Tutto 99 cent” (Everything 99 cent) store and picked up some Halloween decor. We decorated our new small home and invited a few close friends over! It was a blast! I dressed as a Gondolier! Other costumes were a vampire, witch, and a pirate. My personal favorite was coming home to my friend Lucy. I walked in the door and she had gone through my closet and was wearing all my clothes and she said, “ Guess what I am?” and I respond, “ I have no idea, a hippie?” and she says, “I am you!”… Her excuse for not wanting to buy a costume, but I still thought it was funny! Needless to say we had a very fun and very American Halloween!

Over the weekend Shea was able to come to Florence for about two days with her awesome parents and funny aunt! It was so great to see them! We went to dinner and to the Uffizi, not my favorite but with them it was much more fun J Thanks Mama and Papa Sanden for coming to Firenze!!! I get to see Shea again this week when I go to Roma!

The bottom pictures are pictures of some things I don’t see at home

1. When you buy fruit and veggies you have to weigh them and put these stickers on them that tells you the price. I usually buy more than one apple and one banana, but that’s all I needed so I put the sticker right on my fruit. I have decided that Italy has the tastiest apples in the world.

2. I have not put my clothes in a dryer in almost 3 months. I love this awesome drying rack, but my jeans are very stretched out! I’m sorry to say, but I am not a fan of the outside lines from house to house, I get nervous and have shaky hands because I think my clothes are going to fall off the line.

3. Bikes are the way of transportation, and its something I will definitely miss seeing. In the center of town it is illegal to have a car unless you have a permit or own a shop. Everyone rides vespas, bikes, or walks. It seems so normal to me now, but I know when I go home I will really miss walking through the narrow streets and seeing the lines of vespas parked on the side of the street.

This weekend: I was in Rome and wanted to have this blog up before I left, but after trying to get internet connection for an hour, i gave up. Rome was fun, tiring, different from what I imagined. I have lots of pictures and tonnnsss of videos to post later this week. I love you and miss you! I cant wait to go to Bagels and Brew, have free water, and go in a jacuzzi!

3 comments:

  1. wooohooo! sounds like your still having fun! and every one, i can agree with becky, their apples are amazing. and i wouldnt use the house to house hanger thing either. i dont want my clothes stolen. haha. Sounds like you had lots of fun with your friends on halloween, i wish i could have been there. i love Lucy's costume. so awesome. she was the best one! you! i love you so much, and i love reading these, keep it up! hope your doin good, talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it all girlie! we miss you and can't wait to see all of your pics and hear of more stories when you come home at Christmas! I wish I had a Vespa to ride to school too! Rome sounds great and I am glad that you got to spend some time with your buddy Shea and her family. Dad will be there soon, in about 3 weeks! Keep posting your blog, your fans wait for it and I check every day to see if there is something new.
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! The girl dressing as you is SUPER funny. I am working on creating headband called the Becky, it is inspired by the lack of italians wearing JLA.. it is wonderful and big and flashy :)

    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete