Thursday, November 12, 2009

Roman Days and Roman Nights











Today I was inspired. From what I know of her, my Italian Literature teacher has been the most influential person I have met while abroad. In class I learn about the great novels like The Divine Comedy, but it has been my few 30-minute conversations with her where I have learned the most. Today I realized she has also been the most honest person to me here in Italy. I told her this and she responded to me, “ When you are honest, you are not scared.”

I feel a lot of time when people blog they try to make every aspect of their life sound amazing or in this case every place that you see sound amazing. My teacher, Deborah, has been so honest about her feelings toward Italy, religion, politics, and I am starting to hear her own personal story. Which leads me to my time in Rome.

Rome was great and again I laughed a lot. My friends Lucy, Meghan, Amanda and I shared a room together. Our beds were so close together it might as well have been one gigantic bed for all of us! I got to see many things and I know that I am fortunate to have done so. We went through many churches analyzing artwork and its meanings and the influence the have had on the church and society. I even saw a church mentioned in Dan Browns, “Angels and Demons”… great movie. I went to the Coliseum (my favorite), the Vatican, St Peters Basilica, the Ancient forum, the Pantheon, attempted to see the Pope, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish steps, and Campo di Fiori. I rode endless buses, metros, trains, and a taxi. It is filled with people from all over the world to see what it has to offer. Rome is beautiful at night and is something that you have to see with your own eyes to understand.

Rome has in incredible history and is a place I have learned about since junior high. Unfortunately, for me, I was in the “observing the culture mode” while I was there. I could not get past the dark clothing, graffiti, uneasy glares, and pushing and shoving. We were warned numerous times to watch our bag, so that our things would not get stolen. It felt like in order to fit in; I had to look pissed off. All of the Italian cities are so unique and so different. In Florence you bike or walk, in Rome you run to catch the next bus. It is MUCH more fast paced in Rome and the majority of the people that I came in to contact with, both tourist and Roman, seemed to be more concerned about their own agenda. Needless to say, im not a big city girl.

To brighten up Rome, I got to hang out with Shea! She took me to Chinese food (haven’t had it in three months, so don’t laugh), we spent time at her apartment, took my friends and I to a market, attempted to see the pope together, and ate dinner together. She loves Rome so much and its fast paced life style. It has been so nice to experience this process together and have someone who really understands day-to-day problems that Italy tends to throw at you. We agreed that we both picked the perfect spot for our personalities! (she is nice though, no mean glares)

Homesickness comes and goes, but among everyone, with most people leaving in 3 weeks, people are about done. Attitudes are going down hill and the comfort of home is beginning to be something we all want. My dad is coming in 3 weeks and I know as soon as I see him my spirits will be lifted! Prayers are always helpful and I would appreciate it so much!

If you are a fan of the book it is also worthy mentioning I gave in and started reading Twilight….enough said. CIAO!!! I love you all J

3 comments:

  1. baby this was a great post, i really enjoyed reading this. Rome sounds like it was sooooo fun! Im bummed we didnt get to go, but im so happy that you got to experience it. and i am also glad you got nothing stolen! the pictures are great, but in that one with the pig statue, are you trying to be the baby pigs? its hard to see, but i still laughed really hard. im sorry that you are getting homesick dont worry though you will be home in 38 days! and your dad will be there soon!!! your almost there baby just hang in there. i love you so much and i hope you are still enjoying yourself over there. i miss you a bunch. come home soon. love you bug.

    Eric Taysom

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool pics girlie, so cool! I like that you laughed alot and that you were able to experience this with your buddies and spend some time with Shea! how great is that. I can't wait to see al your pics and hear all your stories in person! dad will be there in about 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Rome is Awesome and beyond belief.
    You need not see the gothic and the bad, the poverty and the filth.
    The vision that is Rome supercedes all other things. On every corner, on every street, history hits you like a 2x4. So many buildings are constructed of peices of history. At every turn you may walk where Julius Ceasar and Mark Anthony roamed. Where else is all of that part of every corner?
    Thanks, Bryan

    ReplyDelete