Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Xtreme Switzerland:)

















A change of scenery was exactly what I needed. After a nine-hour bus ride, which included watching movies and reading Lucy, Tobyn, and I were finally in Interlaken, Switzerland at 4:30AM. We began our first day to a late start, so we went searching for some lunch. After walking through the breathtaking city surrounded by the Alps we ended up at this very cute restaurant where I had one of my favorite meals thus far: chicken, potatoes, bread, and special garlic sauce yummmmyy! I have never felt so foreign while being in Europe. We walked out and every person in the restaurant said bye to us, it was like we were celebrities. They were so grateful to have us come to Interlaken and our waitress gave us all sorts of info on things to do in town. Later that day while everyone was doing really expensive Xtreme sports, we decided to do some Xtreme bowling! It was so much fun, but Tobyn failed to mention she took a bowing class and annihilated Lucy and I. We ate dinner at our hotel and met other students traveling abroad. We decided that we hadn’t reached of Xtremeness for the day so we went ice-skating! It was so much fun! None of us are very good and I was trying not to break anything with 5 more weeks of traveling to go!

The next day we woke up bright and early and went on a morning hike. It was so beautiful. The leaves were orange and the mountains were covered in snow. On our hike we came across what looked like an old house/banquet room, the Rugen Brau factory (Swiss Beer), and ended up at a castle built in the 1200s. The castle was made of cement bricks and was on top of a hill so we could see the city. The different colored fall trees, the river, the Alps, the friendliness of the Swiss, chocolate, fondue, and yummy chicken: at this point Interlaken already had my heart. That same day we decided that we wanted to see another city so we made our way to Muren. We took a train and rode a gondola up the mountain. We were right in the middle of white mountain tops. It was worth the view, but there was nothing to do in Muren, I think the population of the city might have been 10 tops. We played with some snow that hadn’t melted from the previous days and I made a snowman! Even though there was nothing to do there I am still glad we went! We headed back to Interlaken to have dinner. I ate a huge sausage on hash browns with veal sauce…healthy I know. It is a common Swiss meal so I was trying to play the part! My friends got chocolate fondue and due to Lucy’s phobia of bananas she let me have a taste… it was delectable!

Our last day we wanted to see more of the small town and find some gifts for our families. We didn’t know that no one likes to work on Sundays so our options were limited. I only bought a spoon because everything was so expensive! A magnet was about 12 franks= almost 12 US dollars. No thank you!! We went to the Japanese Friendship Gardens and took pictures and of course made some jokes J

My words wont do what I have seen justice, if I try to use more describing words, people may stop reading my blog so im trying to keep it simple. I have seen so many cities within the last 3 months so it was so great to be around nature. The Swiss people also made this weekend trip so great! They were all so nice and helpful. They even didn’t try to run us over in the cross walks!

If you are wondering about my hat, I got it as an investment. It’s getting colder and my dad and I need to be prepared. I tried it out this weekend and it was so warm, but the funny looks I got from people made me want to keep wearing it. I had 3 people approach me about it. One of them only spoke Swiss German so I’m unsure if he was complimenting my hat or if he hated it, I just awkwardly giggled and walked away!

I hope you like the pictures and videos! I love you all J

2 comments:

  1. love the videos, soooo funny! what great funny friends you have been traveling with!
    The pics are gorgeous, 12 dollars for a magnet, I think not! dad is getting ready, won't be long and you will be a tour guide for popsidoodle!
    we miss your smiling laugh and crazy voices!
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh bug. it really looks like you enjoyed switzerland!! it sounds like so much fun! and the videos are great! i like the deserted city. kinda creepy though. and you got to go bowling and ice skating! woohoo! and note to self- dont buy magnets from switzerland. the food sounds amazing, the hospitality, the scenery, i like this place to and i didnt even go! i cant wait to hear even more of your crazy adventures and i am glad you have found great friends over there, but its almost time for you to come home! oh and i love the pictures, like the one i think its the 5th one down, a neighborhood, with horses walking down the street. i love you so much, and come home soon! i want a bear hug. :)
    eric

    ReplyDelete