Thursday, August 27, 2009

Zanzara

Boungiorno!!! Busy, busy, busy is how I would like to explain my last 4 days in Italy. I am in Lido di Camaoire in Viareggio.  Class stared on Monday and boy was I in for a treat.  My class size is about 12 and my teacher speaks very little English.  We have class for 4 hours a day with one break! My teachers name is Giovanna and she is soooo cute, but as you can all probably understand, when trying to learn a language it cant be frustrating when you ask a question and she doesn’t understand you.  She always says, “You try to speak in Italian.” Haha. Unfortunately we are still on phrases such as… “How are you?”  Although it is frustrating at times I am learning a lot, and the teachers came to our hotel to do tutoring! Not only do we have 4 hours of class and about 2 hours of homework, we also have awesome field trips planned by AIFS.  On Tuesday, we went to Pietrasanta.   It was established in 1255 and is the place where artists came for inspiration.  The town was full of bright colored buildings, just like you see in movies and pictures.  I had my very first gelato and saw a man making a mosaic worth 700 thousand euro. Yikeess! Eating has also been a big part of my Italian experience.  I have a favorite sandwich shop and I even try to speak Italian to the owner.  We order fresh sandwiches with mozzarella, tomatoes, salami or ham, with pesto on delicious bread! At night we eat in the hotel and I have befriended our waiter Bruno who also helps some of the girls and I with our Italian homework.  Today (Thursday) I went a Marble Quarry.  We went on a tour and they told us how they take it out and all sorts of fun facts.  After AIFS took us to this restaurant called Aqua. It was right on the water and one of the most relaxing and romantic places I have been to, not to mention having delicious food.  The cheesecake here is very different and I am not a fan.  It is much more watery.  I found out who my host family will be too this week and even got to see a picture! Its actually just one woman, her name is Tosca and she is pretty old from what I understand.  She has had students for 20 years and speaks very little English.   She owns a clothing boutique in Florence and her daughter lives down the street.  She likes to go dancing and the AIFS lady said she can be a little kooky crazy sometimes, such as have pink braids in her hair!!! Haha I cant wait to meet her and get to know her. Also (mom you will appreciate this) I went to water aerobics! My time here has been such a blessing so far, but I would be lying if at times I wasn’t stressed.  With school, excursions, little sleep, long meals and trying to keep up with friends and family at home it can be exhausting.  I am paying for internet right now, so if I haven’t responded to some e-mails I have gotten, don’t worry, I will… just when I have free internet! I love you all so so so much. Please pray for my safety and know that I am thinking about you J

5 comments:

  1. it was so good to see you and talk to you again, what fun you are having!
    you need to sleep girl, take some naps please! I can't wait to hear about you host mom, she sounds very fun! I am sure you will be in for a treat and that you will make her laugh as well!!

    love you, now go to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a blast! Told you that you would eat lots :)

    Get us some pictures soon!!

    Miss you girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana gave me your address so I can follow along on your blog. I can just imagine you over there keeping everyone laughing. Italy will never be the same after Becky's visit. Your host Mom is going to love you just like we all do.

    Love Ya mama zap

    ReplyDelete
  4. im sooo happy to read your comments it makes me soo happy!!! i hope like the pictures!!! i love you alll. and mom i will try to take naps, but its hard there is so much to see and doo!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVEEEE YOUR PICTURES!!! IT LOOKS AMAZINGGGGG BECKS! i love how your very consistent with this cause im always thinkin about you girllll!! I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete