Thursday, August 6, 2009

Less than 2 weeks until departure!

Buongirono!
I don't exactly know where to begin considering the process of going to Italy started about 9 months ago. I knew I wanted to study abroad the moment I heard about it.  Choosing a place was most definitely the hardest part.  Did I want to go to a Spanish speaking country and practice what I have learned and get even better at it? Did I want to go back to Africa with all its amazing hospitable people?....It came down to somewhere in South America or Europe.  I choose Europe because I know as I grow older I wont be able to spend money on fabulous European vacations :)  After talking with several people I couldn't deny what Italy had to offer.  So many historical locations, a beautiful coast, an unknown language, delicious food, and revolutionary art.  It had everything. I spent a lot of time going through hand books, searching the web, and praying about it and I finally choose Florence because: A. The program I liked was either Florence or Rome.  And B.  I liked the idea of a slower paced city, something more like me.  Since that decision, I have been through a long application process, the Italian Consulate, listening to pod casts, trying to find the perfect walking shoes and clothes so I wont look like a tourist, applying for housing, converting my money to euros, the list goes on and on.  I will be attending the University of Richmond in Florence.  I will be staying with an Italian family with the request of another student and I wont find out who they are until I arrive.  I cant wait to meet them!  I hope the like me, speak a little English, and have some time to show me around and teach me to cook! The classes I will be taking are: Italian 1 and 2, Globalization: A European Perspective, Modern Italy: A Social Analysis, and Italian Literature in Translation.( 16 units) I cant tell you how blessed I feel to have this experience.  I will need prayers while I am away for 4 months, for my safety, times of loneliness, and to understand foreign currency haha!  I will try to keep everyone updated as much as possible, it probably will be way less writing than this but I wanted everyone to be caught up :)
Grazie mille (many thanks) for everyones support.
Becky

1 comment:

  1. oh man oh man. all of this running around for the trip never thinking it would come. but now i realize you are leaving me in 2 weeks. this makes me sad. :( i know you are going to have so much fun and i cant wait for you to experience it. besides im coming to visit you for 9 days. :)

    ReplyDelete