Monday, September 14, 2009

Euro Adventures...






Everyone said, “ Don’t leave Italy without going to the Amalfi Coast,” after the weekend I just had I would have to strongly agree with that.  After class on Thursday, I started my next adventure.  It started with a 40 minute walk through the city with my duffel bag and back pack to meet my friends and a group of American students at the train station.  After a 7 hour bus ride we made it to Sorrento! It was 2 am when we got there, so after we got settled in our bungalow we hit the hay and got ready for the next day! (That rhymed) First stop, Capri.  We missed the tour group, not a surprise, so we were on our own.  We took a ferry to the island and it was a gorgeous day! We got off the ferry and shopped around the island, some of my friends got hand made Italian shoes, I got a spoon! That afternoon we went on a 2-hour boat tour around Capri and saw the Blue Grotto! It is one of the Seven Wonders of the World! The tide was too high so we could go in, but the entrance was good enough for me!  While on the boat, I had a “ Wow, im actually in Italy moment.”  Sometimes my days are so fast here I barely have time to process it all so having these moments are so awesome.  Just being on a boat with a bunch of college kids from all over the United States and stopping for a quick jump in the Mediterranean while looking at houses stacking on cliffs was one of those moments.  We were all exhausted by the end of the day so we had dinner we spent the evening looking through our various collection of Italian tourist books deciding what to do the next day.  Day 2 was Positano and Amalfi.  We got on a bus that would take us from Sorrento to Positano, and boy we were in for a treat.  The roads are very narrow and extremely close to the edge. I saw my life flash before my eyes about 20 times and heard two people barfing! YUCK! We got there and it was soooooo worth it! WE walked down streets full of little shops, mostly handmade linen clothing and jewelry.  We ate lunch and spent some time on the beach and made our way to the next bus station that would take us to Amalfi.  Amalfi was much more quite and less active than the previous cities.   There was not as much to do in the city and less touristy, it was a nice change of pace.  I was so excited to go here because there was sea glass on this beach! When I got to the beach I was on cloud 9! Sea glass hunting is something my mom and I have started doing and has become one of my favorite things to do.  In Amalfi the glass was everywhere! I got so many different colors and even got my friends to join in! I ate yummy gelato and then it was time for another bus.  This one was even more horrific.  Just leaving the parking spot, the driver ripped of the door of the bus next to it, of course we al had our cameras out!  This bus was 2 hours of winding roads and more barf, not for me though!  Once we got back to Sorrento we had dinner! It took them an hour to get our meal, so of course using the Morines within me I complained and we got free food and free wine! Thanks mom!! Day 3 was Pompeii.  No bus this day, just a train pheewwiiee! We went on a tour and got all sorts of interesting facts.  I found the petrified dead bodies to be the most interesting part.  It was very sad to see them, but it was so interesting.  I also enjoyed seeing their bathing area/steam house, and ironically the prostitution house.  We left Sorrento that day back to Florence! It was a long bus ride and didn’t get back until super late! This week is full of classes and a laundry list of things I still need to do to get adjusted to the city.  Please pray that I have patience and safety.  I love you all soooo much!!!

Ps sorry if there are spelling mistakes/ grammar, its late!

7 comments:

  1. Becky...I love that you complained to get free food. I think I would have been disappointed if you didn't do that in Italy. :)

    Good talking to you today. Praying for you and those scary roads. No more of that, you will worry your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHH, sea glass!! Now thats my girl! Glad you spoke up at the restaurant too, you should and you did! Sounds like a great weekend with friends, seeing some wonderful sights..don't know about the bus rides, they sound a bit scary though! Keep the pics and blog rolling, we all love to read about your adventures! Be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! this sounds like such a fun experience that just continues by the minute. I will be praying for you and your friends. LOVE you sooooo much! by the way, your writing is amazing, and it feels like you are telling it too me :) Maybe we can skype???? let me know on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, sounds like a blast!! I am glad you are having so much fun. We miss you a lot, but our jealousy trumps all other feelings.

    Send me that picture of the bike out in front of that window that is on your facebook, I want to blow it up in my den :)
    katielaurel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was sooooo fun for my class to talk with you today on Skyp, sooo cool!! They were just laughing at all of your funny faces that you made and I think they enjoyed seeing me (mom) talk to to you (daughter).
    we should do it again!
    PS- I want to come and get some sea glass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. becks your taking beautiful pictures! i miss you a lot and sounds like you had an AMAZING and superrrr Productive weekend. GOOD. dude, tell i wanna hear more about Mama Tosca, she really fun to read about ahaha. and i wanna see pictures of her pink hair lmao! i loveeeee youuuuuuuu becky jannn eat a lot for meeee while i starve with the lomagins here and eat regular everyday food :( oh yeah and guess what, ive only been home once this semester! good right? i know. ahahahah ti amoooooooooo <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww this just made my day! katie- i will send you the picture :) mom- mespa is the cutest thing on the earth. mary jan- i am eating dont worry about that ahah, and i am definelty doing everything i possible can. i thought about you today because we went to a church and interpreted art!
    everyone- sorry if my writing isnt that great. im soooo tired when i write, haha. mama tosca has been on vacation for the past week, but when she comes home i will take a picture and post a hugggeee picture of her. she is old and precious. she makes my bed someimtes and gives me fresh towels once a week! still no english, but my italian is improving slowly.... love you all soooo much

    ReplyDelete